Saturday, October 18, 2008

Free

“She’s so free, so answerable to no one that she’s lost.”

Are we really? Sometimes I feel that way. Sometimes I feel so uncontrolled that I have a hard time controlling myself. I am so free that I don’t know what to do. I have so many choices that I am trapped by them. Don’t get me wrong, I love choice. I love freedom. I love that I can do whatever I want whenever I want…to an extent. But sometimes it’s a little too much. Sometimes I long for someone to tell me what to do. I crave a decision made by someone else. I yearn for a leader.

I saw the Statue of Liberty for the first time today. I mean, for the first time in person. I was overwhelmed. I thought of all of those who came to this country to be free. “Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free.” How amazing is that? People came here for freedom. More than that, they came here for asylum. They came here to be whomever they wanted. They came to this country because it is a place where no one could tell you what you were supposed to believe or who you were supposed to be.

Until they did.